- warn you that I will break systemd (and consequently your boot process) until further notice recklessly, repeatedly and without prior warning to anyone
- make clear what I intend to do with systemd in Exherbo
- make a plan for myself.
What I want to do first is get a feeling for systemd and see if it might have the potential to replace baselayout-1 (bl-1) and, at least for myself, be used instead of the init-system-that-is-not-to-be. ;)
As I really want to replace bl-1, I’m not going to go the Gentoo way of simply adding a handful of pseudo-units that essentially just call the openrc init scripts. If you want that, you’re on your own and I won’t accept patches that do that. Instead, I’m aiming for:
- a full native set of systemd units not tainted by anything else
- a minimal set of non-native configuration files (what we currently have in /etc/conf.d; I don’t think it will be possible to avoid them completely but I will if I can)
- staying as near to upstream as possible and I’ll try to submit my patches upstream even though the DISTRO_PORTING instructions don’t exactly make inclusion seem likely
- the units included in the systemd package will at most get you to some kind of login (either graphical or console)
- all additional units for services like sshd should eventually be added to their respective packages, possibly using a “systemd” option.
The process to make systemd really usable in Exherbo will be a slow one. One that I expect to take till autumn this year because:
- I’m really busy at work,
- this summer seems to become a damn hot one again and I spend quite some time after work in our pool,
- I’ll be on holidays in France for most of July.
The steps I intend to take:
- finalise the Exherbo patches for systemd (90% done, ETA: Mid June)
- create and enhance a basic set of units for booting (5% done)
- create units for other services
How you can help:
- Remind me of the stuff I’ve forgotten due to a power outage here. :-)
- Make yourself acquainted with systemd units.
- Once I’ve pushed the Exherbo patches, test systemd and
- submit patches for the missing units. :-)
- Leave comments here or on the dev mailinglist so that I can consider your input, comments and concerns.